Art at Home: Play with Paper- Quilling Fun!
What you’ll need:
- Paper: any kind, any color — as long as it’s easy to cut!
- Glue or tape
- Any kind of container: cardboard box, tupperware, etc
Create Paper Strips:
- Use a ruler and pencil to draw straight lines about 1”-2” apart across your whole paper
- Cut paper along lines to create strips
→ Fun Trick: Stack 2 or 3 papers on top of each other and cut all at once to create tons of paper strips !
- The more colors the more fun
- Strips should be at least 6” long!
- Take one paper strip and wrap it tightly around a pen, pencil, or marker: use those hand muscles to wrap!!
- Remove your chosen drawing tool and see how the paper has maintained its cylindrical shape!
- Repeat to create a collection of coiled paper pieces.
- Loose ends of papers can either be glued or taped down to hold shape.
Creating Your Masterpiece:
- Your quilled paper strips can be kept to their cylindrical shape but can also be altered!
- Pinch ends to create different shapes (see reference image!)
- Begin to place your quilled paper strips next to each other within your container- position them so they nestle together.
- Think of each quilled piece as a puzzle piece: work together to make your colorful paper design within the container.
- Individual pieces can be taped together to really keep your paper sculpture in tact.