Funky Wrapped Letters
4+ (young kiddos will need help with cutting)
- Marker, Pen, or Pencil
- Cardboard : ANY kind! Could be from a delivery or even an empty food box → Note that thinner cardboard will be easier to cut with scissors. BUT thicker cardboard can work! If you have an exacto knife, grownups can really have fun cutting out letters! → The size is up to you! Older artists may be able to focus on creating a larger letter while your littler artists may want to scale down!
- T-Shirt Strips
Cut Out Your Letter
- Choose a letter– any letter! Will it be the first letter in your name? The first letter in your dog or cat’s name? A letter that you think looks cool?
- Using a drawing tool, draw this letter nice and big on your cardboard in block or bubble letter style (see photo for reference!)
- Cut out your letter along the lines: perfection not necessary!
Wrap It Up!
- Take your yarn and cut a LONG piece: at least 24”
- Tape one end of your yarn to your letter: this will secure it in place so you can wrap your yarn easily
- Start wrapping your yarn around your letter: almost as though you’re making a sweater for it!
- Wrap around and around so eventually you can’t even see the cardboard underneath
- Run out of yarn? No problem: cut yourself another piece and repeat
HELPFUL HINT: Embroidery thread also works! Got an old t-shirt? Cut it into long, skinny strips and try that too!
- Spread glue on top of your yarn or on your cardboard and sprinkle glitter on top
- Add paint! Paint on your cardboard or right on your yarn!